[HH] Parallella project

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 18:21:47 EDT 2012

Kurt L Keville wrote:
> I'm sure you guys have seen the Parallella project...
> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone

Never heard of the name or the Kickstarter project, but it says, "The
Parallella project is being launched by Adapteva, a semiconductor
startup company founded in 2008."

I posted about the Adapteva Epiphany back in January:
http://www.mail-archive.com/hardwarehacking@blu.org/msg00163.html

The Kickstarter description is confusing on first read. It describes a
super parallel device, and then says "Dual-core ARM A9 CPU." Oh, is that
like a controller device in addition to a multi-core CPU ("Epiphany
Multicore Accelerator (16 or 64 cores)")?

I'm assuming the other specs they list for ports and such are for the
overall device, and not per core. So that isn't a conglomeration of SBCs
but a single credit-card sized SBC with a "multicore accelerator" tacked on.

So if we can infer from the Kickstarter pricing tiers, the finished
product will retail in the $100 neighborhood?

"...the Parallella computer should deliver up to 45 GHz of equivalent
CPU performance on a board the size of a credit card while consuming
only 5 Watts under typical work loads."

So do you plan to gang together a few dozen of these? :-)