[HH] FAVI SmartStick

Federico Lucifredi flucifredi at acm.org
Sun Oct 7 01:59:29 EDT 2012

On Oct 5, 2012, at 2:42 AM, Tom Metro wrote:

> Kurt Keville wrote:
>> Cotton Candy finally shipped Monday...
>> http://www.fxitech.com/2012/10/cstick-cotton-candy-available-now-to-all-global-developers/
>> too little, too late...
>
> Have they explained why it was so delayed? Seems like other vendors have
> delivered similar products in shorter time frames.
>

> Federico Lucifredi wrote:
>> And too expensive, too. The "stickputer" I showed at OSCON was half that price.
>
> Are they still selling for $200? If you comparing it to the SmartStick
> it is 4 times the price.
>
> But according to specs I posted in February, the Cotton Candy has
> "dual-core 1.2 GHz ARM Cortex-A9 CPU w/Quad Core ARM Mali-400MP GPU",
> while the SmartStick has a 1.0 Ghz ARM Cortex-A9 with an unknown GPU.
> The clock difference is probably insignificant. Are all A9s dual-core,
> or do we assume the SmartStick is single-core if it doesn't say otherwise?
>
> Is it 4 times better?
>
> How do the specs on the device you had at OSCON compare?

MK802 Android mini PC

Miniand Tech 94$

Allwinner A10 1.0GHz Cortex-A8 500Hz GPU, 1 GB DDR3 Wireless 802.11b/g, WAPI
USB 2.0 host x 2

HDMI, microSD 4GB Flash

Looks like the Cotton candy is at the beefy end of the range, but still not significantly better than the PandaBoard of you don't care about the GPU.

Best -F

-- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish
(Federico L. Lucifredi) - flucifredi at acm.org - GnuPG 0x4A73884C