[HH] Raspberry Pi turbo mode

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 19:25:36 EDT 2012

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2008

  You can now choose from one of five overclock presets in raspi-config,
  the highest of which runs the ARM at 1GHz. The level of stable
  overclock you can achieve will depend on your specific Pi and on the
  quality of your power supply...

  Since launch, we've supported overclocking and overvolting your
  Raspberry Pi...[this] voided your warranty because we were concerned
  it would decrease the lifetime of the SoC...

  We've been doing a lot of work to understand the impact of voltage and
  temperature on lifetime, and are now able to offer a "turbo mode",
  which dynamically enables overclock and overvolt under the control of
  a cpufreq driver, without affecting your warranty. We are happy that
  the combination of only applying turbo when busy, and limiting turbo
  when the BCM2835´s internal temperature reaches 85°C, means there will
  be no measurable reduction in the lifetime of your Raspberry Pi.

  Comparing the new image with 1GHz turbo enabled, against the previous
  image at 700MHz, nbench reports 52% faster on integer, 64% faster on
  floating point and 55% faster on memory.

The update also involves fixing a USB IRQ problem that was eating up 20%
of the CPU, and boosting the bus speed.

Enough of an improvement so that XBMC's UI won't be sluggish?