[HH] Micro Center, Radio Shack

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 01:42:03 EDT 2013

bostonoarsman at gmail.com wrote:
> Last time I looked, the Arduino kits and assorted shields were in the
> books & magazines section, beyond the gaming systems.

Ah, no wonder I couldn't find them. I've been in the gaming room maybe
twice since they gutted their book department. (I can't blame them - I
rarely buy tech books now - but I have even less of a need for gaming gear.)

markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> Radio Shack is coming back to its roots. Have you looked lately?

I don't remember when I was last in a store. I get mixed messages from
their sales fliers. They're definitely mixing in some Arduinos and other
hardware hacking goodies that have been absent in recent years, but they
still largely come across and a wannabe cell phone shop (is that tactic
working for them?).

It's funny that despite the resurgence in electronics hobby products, we
haven't seen the return of some of the niche retailers like Unitech (an
oddball surplus electronics shop in Cambridge that evolved into a super
cheap supplier of floppy disks) and Future/Active (still a wholesaler).

I guess the other half of the picture is the wide availability of
products online, which undercuts smalltime retailers.