[HH] Micro Center, Radio Shack

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Thu Apr 4 12:34:55 EDT 2013

On 4/4/13 1:42 AM, Tom Metro wrote:
> I don't remember when I was last in a store. I get mixed messages from
> their sales fliers. They're definitely mixing in some Arduinos and other
> hardware hacking goodies that have been absent in recent years, but they
> still largely come across and a wannabe cell phone shop (is that tactic
> working for them?).
>

> It's funny that despite the resurgence in electronics hobby products, we
> haven't seen the return of some of the niche retailers like Unitech (an
> oddball surplus electronics shop in Cambridge that evolved into a super
> cheap supplier of floppy disks) and Future/Active (still a wholesaler).
I've been to three different RSs in the past few months, and all three
had Arduino equipment in them, which is nice to get something
immediately.  YDI has a much larger selection of support equipment (and
I'll probably make one run a year there).
> I guess the other half of the picture is the wide availability of
> products online, which undercuts smalltime retailers.

DX.com is great if you don't need it in the next few weeks.  And don't
have a problem burning a new firmware onto their Nano clone.

-Mark