[HH] electronics hobby industry

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Sat Apr 6 10:27:29 EDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 3:01 AM, Tom Metro <tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you can make a $500 3D printer in volume, then why not a similarly
> sized CNC router/mill capable of processing plastic, wood, or aluminum?
> (You can, but they aren't packaged up as a computer peripheral that sits
> on your desktop.)

Not sure about that.   While a 3D printer and a CNC router/mill both
require precise position of their active "heads" and the object
under construction,  a 3D printer does this in an environment where the
only mechanical load on the system is gravity.  A CNC device on the other
hand has to absorb the force of removing material, torque due to rotation,
etc.   Maybe if you scaled down the size of the routing bit to the size of
a dental drill, you could do it without really beefy stepper motors.   Hmm,
that might be the way to go actually.   I wonder if you could replace the
extruding head on a 3D printer with the hand held drill bit used by a
dentist.   I'm not a mech. eng. so I have no real idea if it would be
possible.

Bill Bogstad