[HH] Rethinking LinuxPC Robot -- the Linux PI Robot

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 17:23:25 EDT 2013

markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> What about a functional cluster of PI systems on the robot? Tied together
> with an ethernet switch? Use something like MPI for distributed processing
> across multiple PI devices, and use each PI as a specialized I/O module.

I would think your I/O needs exceed your processing needs. And you've
previously established that the Pi is poor for I/O.

Seems the more natural solution is to blend technologies, using Arduino
or something similar, as function-specific controllers, which are then
coordinated by a Pi, that provides a UI, and perhaps also handles a more
processing intensive task, like video processing for vision.

Would the communication between the Pi and the Arduino's tax the Pi's
USB bus?

> Right now, I use an Intel Atom CPU to do everything and it is loaded with
> all the cameras and controls.

Ah...multiple cameras? Perhaps a Pi per camera.

> Given the cost of a DC ATX power supply...

I've ran across some of these lately. They seem to be increasingly
popular with builders of mini-ITX systems that want to power their
system with a cheap 12 V "brick-on-a-rope" external power supply.

For example, here's an 80 W DC-to-DC converter selling for $20:
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Box-picoPSU-80-Output-Input-Supply/dp/B005TWE5E6/

Often paired with a $11 12 V @ 6 A supply made for LCD displays.