[HH] Whirlpools, Maelstroms, and Maytags with Android's Sticks and Chips

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 01:44:32 EDT 2013

> Topic: Whirlpools, Maelstroms, and Maytags with Android's Sticks and Chips
> Moderators:
> Kurt Keville, Thaumaturgical Engineer, MIT Institute for Soldier
> Nanotechnologies - kkeville alum mit edu
>
> Brian DeLacey, www.LinuxInTheLivingRoom.com, b delacey / gmail com
>
> We'll trace the rapid evolution of low-cost, small, fast, energy
> efficient devices capable of running Linux. We'll show new Android
> devices running as miniTVs, miniPCs and tablets. We'll talk about the
> promise of "Instant-on" boot times, 2 watt power profiles, and
> supply-response middleware that makes your box unbrickable.
>
> Kurt will share slides showing the embedded revolution as "Moore's Law
> on Steroids". Kurt's theory, practice and empirical study segment will
> close with one startling prediction: the world leader in compute
> energy-efficiency (Green500) will also be the leader in raw compute
> performance (TOP500) next year.
>
> Brian will run with some real systems. Bring your own devices!
> Demonstrations may include tricking, bricking and short-circuiting NAND.
> We'll show devices with the Rockchip RK3066 including Rikomagic's
> MK802IIIS 8GB Bluetooth with MK702II wireless Keyboard, the Measy U2C
> miniPC with camera, and the UG008 miniPC TV device with ethernet and
> WiFi. We'll also show the Allwinner A10 - on the PengStick and PengPod
> tablet. We'll close with an x86/ARM cross-compile of Linux and discuss
> building the ideal Linux powered miniStick.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to this meeting. Any highlights
to share?

I see John Abreau shared some links on #BLU (IRC):

brian's slides
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6i6hqcIwTc
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Measy-U2C-TV-Dongle-TV-BOX-RK3066-Dual-Core-1G-8G-Built-in-2-0MP-Camera---Mic-with-BT-AV-Output-White-314220.html
http://usb.brando.com/measy-wireless-keyboard-with-touchpad-rc12-_p02884c034d015.html