[HH] UPS Tutorial & Teardown

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 02:28:44 EDT 2013

Here's a video that describes the 3 major architectures for
uninterruptable power supplies, then tears apart an APC rack mount UPS
to match up the real components to the theoretical block digram:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj7e3WGUKO8&feature=em-subs_digest

I went into it figuring I already knew how a UPS worked, but still
learned some things. (AVR UPSs really just use an auto transformer and a
couple of relays to implement voltage boosting/reduction? That's
surprisingly granular.)

This is one of many videos by Dave, a.k.a. EEVblog. I've seen a few and
they're pretty good, though on the long side and I've lost interest on
some. Some cover theory and some cover teardowns of used equipment.
(Dave seems to buy a lot of used test equipment in auctions.) I think I
posted a link previously to a teardown he did of a knockoff Hakko
soldering station. Also soldering tutorials and test equipment reviews.

Here's the page for his channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/EEVblog?feature=watch

I haven't seen it but his "What Is An FPGA?" video might be of interest
to some as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUsHwi4M4xE