[HH] FPGAs price competitive with ASICs?

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Thu Dec 19 12:15:57 EST 2013

Nice.

I don't know why the price is so different compared to the zedboard.
All I can guess is that avnet seems to make prototype boards
for corporate engineering companies, and they figured those buyers
could afford a markup. I think thye spent quite a long time to get
the board to work, plus dealing with the ZYNQ chip being a long time
in coming. It will be interesting to see how parallella's first
batch of consumer boards hold up in the field. January maybe?

Has anyone worked with the zynq chip?
I've fiddled with it using the xilinx pre-built AXI slaves.
I have some home-grown axi slaves and I haven't
found a good explanation of how to hook it up
to the rest of the design.

Greg