[HH] FPGAs price competitive with ASICs?

Jon Evans jon at craftyjon.com
Thu Dec 19 18:56:45 EST 2013

I have used Spartan 3 and 6 series.  Since we're comparing commercial temp
grade parts, the XC6SLX25 [1] has about the same number of logic cells and
almost four times as much block ram.  The Artix FPGAs have more
multiplier/DSP cores, though.  Unfortunately the Artix FPGA that is
competitive spec-wise with the LX25 is not available yet (our Xilinx reps
told us next summer, probably), so Spartan 6 is still where it's at for the
low end (and by low end, I mean under $50/device in volume).

So, we could buy a significantly more expensive Zynq that has 1/4 the block
ram, or we could just use a Spartan 6 and a $5 Cortex-M4 microcontroller if
needed.  Since our applications are block ram intensive, we went with the
Spartan 6.

[1]
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/XC6SLX25-2FTG256C/122-1753-ND/2339839