[HH] Free hands on workshop for the Cypress SoC at Lincoln Lab , Tuesday , Jan 29, 6pm

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 22:14:04 EST 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Free hands on workshop at Lincoln Lab Tuesday Jan 29 6pm
From: Peter Mager

IEEE Computer Society and GBC/ACM Hands-On Workshop

6-9 PM, Tuesday, 29 January 2013

pizza and refreshments available at 5:30 PM

MIT Lincoln Lab Cafeteria

Hands On Workshop:

Playing with WaveForms using the Cypress PSOC environment and Oscilloscopes

Mike Daly, Cypress Sr. Staff Engineer

Abstract:

This hands-on tutorial will show you how to manipulate waveforms using
the PSoC Integrated Development Environment, which combines a context
sensitive C editor with a Schematic Capture process for designing with
libraries of analog and digital virtual hardware, and then download the
design onto a piece of target hardware. The integrated hardware /
software co-designs use a unified bitstream image of your application to
program a reconfigurable Cypress Semiconductor PSoC, situated on a
compact printed circuit board development target containing several
sensors and LEDs.

The workshop will start with a brief introduction to Programmable System
on a Chip (PSOC) technology and the Cypress IDE (CAD system) for
developing applications. The bulk of the workshop will consist of labs
using a new PSoC Creator component, the WaveDAC8. We will show you how
to generate increasingly complex waveforms starting with the simplest
(Sine, Triangle, FSK, DTMF, etc.) using the WaveDAC8 component without
having to input lookup tables in your code. Agilent Oscilloscopes
(provided for the day by MetricTest www.metrictest.com) will be
available to verify the waveforms generated. We will be using Cypress
development kits to show how the PSoC can be interfaced to sensors and
actuators to build a total system.

The PSoC Creator 2.1 software that will be used in the workshop is free
and available for download at www.cypress.com . Please install the
software on a laptop that you will bring with you prior to the workshop
so that we can minimize the amount of workshop time we spend on
installation issues. PSoC Creator is WIN based and as such will only run
on PCs or MACs running a WIN environment.

This seminar is free, but you must register at
http://psocwaveformll.eventbrite.com so we have enough development kits
and food.

The workshop will be held in the cafeteria at MIT Lincoln Laboratory,
244 Wood Street, Lexington, MA 02420, not on the main campus. Directions
to Lincoln Lab are available online at
http://www.ll.mit.edu/about/visitorinfo.html.

Up-to-date information about this and other talks is available online at
http://ewh.ieee.org/r1/boston/computer/. You can sign up to receive
updated status information about this talk and informational emails
about future talks at http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/ieee-cs,
our self-administered mailing list.

Our January 17 seminar with Jared Spool is currently full, but you can
join the wait list at <http://jaredspooljan2013.eventbrite.com/>.  We
will be recording the seminar and are trying to arrange a webcast.