[HH] AMD's first ARM-based server chip announced

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 18:43:53 EDT 2013

Kurt Keville wrote:
> Besides AMD, I know Applied Micro, Broadcom, Cavium...are working on a 64-bit ARM chip.
> Who isn't...?

I guess that's what happens when you license your IP for a fair price,
and the early adopters demonstrate success with the platform.

Would Intel be even bigger and x86 even more prevalent had Intel
licensed it fairly instead of making companies like AMD reverse engineer
it? (Did VIA also reverse engineer it, or did they license it?)

Though hard to imagine how x86 could be any more ubiquitous. But I'm
sure we would have seen it applied to more market niches.