[HH] Arduino and Raspberry PI

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Tue Mar 26 08:23:36 EDT 2013

> markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
>> The Raspberry PI has a good amount of processing, but lacks the I/O
>> to do what the arduino can do.
>
> Not disagreeing, but what sort of I/Os have you wanted that it didn't
> have?

For it to work in an "embedded environment" it would need a few PWM lines,
a few ADC lines, interrupt enabled digital lines, etc. Very similar to
what the Arduino has.

Yes, absolutely, you can "buy" these as add-ons, but that sort of defeats
the purpose. As it is, general purpose digital I/O boards for the PC are
practically obsolete from the Arduino. A $25 USB interface card can do
what most $50~$120 I/O cards can do, but with the addition of some
on-board processing make the arduino hard to beat.

I originally saw the PI as an arduino killer, but I'm not sure. I can buy
a micro-itx motherboard that will boot off a USB stick for $89. It will
have 100X more processing power than a PI, with more I/O especially if it
has a old printer port and PS/2 ports (mouse/kbd). Its bigger than the PI
but not that much in real terms when all the needed components are brought
together.

On one hand the PI doesn't have the I/O for a control platform and on the
other hand, it doesn't have the processing power for a computer intensive
platform. I doubt it has the horse power for more than one USB camera. The
network adapter in the PI is USB and and only 100mb! It doesn't even have
wireless, so that would have to work of the single USB channel as well.

So, I will need to think of a project for it, but I am sad it is so
limited. Because all of its non GPIO I/O is via a single USB 2.0 channel,
it won't even make a usable NAS or embedded router/firewall.