[HH] video microscope

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Tue May 7 16:01:28 EDT 2013

Greg London wrote:
> ...the hardest part of soldering (thru hole, but smd is worse) is that
> my eyes are shot and a stereo microscope costs about $400.

Adafruit just added a $70 video microscope to their store:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=TLwDen1qwtAsA&feature=player_detailpage&v=wiayUpVSLKI#t=813s

and:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1345

It looks like the USB macro cameras we've discussed here before, except
it simply has composite video out, which in the demo above they show it
being used with a small LCD monitor. Probably this one:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/947

The scope has 25x and 400x magnification modes. 25x looks usable for
soldering.

So for about $150 combined you could having something that might work
similar to an optical scope.

In the future, you can feed the video from the scope directly to your
Google Glass. :-)