[HH] Laser cutting acrylic in Boston?

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Sat May 25 02:34:02 EDT 2013

Mark Komarinski wrote:
> Is there anyplace in the area I can take that to and get it made?

I thought this might have been covered on the Artisan's Asylum wiki:
http://wiki.artisansasylum.com/index.php/Main_Page

while they have a section for local sources for materials, they don;t
seem to have a section for local service companies.

(We have a wiki with a few resources listed as well:
http://blu.wikispaces.com/Hardware+Hacking
danger!awesome is listed as providing "laser engraving and cutting.")

But according to tis:
http://wiki.artisansasylum.com/index.php/RL-150-1290_Laser_Cutter

AA has a laser cutter that will handle plastic that you can access for
$30/hr. They require that you attend a training session prior to using
the cutter, which will be an additional expense, however you might be
able to hire someone already trained to run your job.

http://www.salemmetal.com/ in Salem, MA also has a laser cutter, but
they don't mention whether they handle plastic.

> Alternately, are there any online sites I can send it to?

Plenty, though none that I have direct experience with. Here are some
from my bookmarks:

http://www.emachineshop.com/
http://www.bigbluesaw.com/saw/ (waterjet)
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/749