[HH] FSF recommends the Lulzbot 3D printer

Federico Lucifredi flucifredi at acm.org
Fri Nov 29 19:59:26 EST 2013

That almost makes me want to go to Microsoft's store, and buying a Makerbot there, to double down on the transgression!

Seriously, yes, Makerbot has decided not to open everything on the 2, and the aim was to reduce the carbon-copy replicas from China - IIRC Bre spoke about this at the Open Hardware Summit in NYC, 2012.

The intent of course does not matter in F/OSS terms, but investors have to recoup their investment (something F/OSS economics always seems to ignore). In any event Makerbot was just bought at the tune of 700M$, let's see what the new owners decide.

On a pure technology level, I am leaning towards the Printrbot machines... And more importantly, so is my 3D printing expert friend over at Make.

Best-F

Sent from my iPhone