[HH] the missing security camera revolution

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 20:49:53 EDT 2014

 What yearly volume are you looking at?  Under 10k units, an $80 production
cost device should sell for $250 - $500 if you want to actually be able to
have a company that can support it.  BOM and production costs are generally
not the major contributors to the sale price of low-volume devices.

Using cheap Androids would make sense if you could replace the OS, except
of course that replacing the OS costs a great deal.

>From a post by Gui Cavalcanti, Asylum founder and a teacher @ Olin:

A random, interesting data point for you all -
[<https://www.facebook.com/myles.cooper.39>
redacted], a student in my Fundamentals of Business and Entrepreneurship
class at Olin, and his team have been working on a business plan that
essentially amounts to one person owning a MakerBotReplicator 2 and
printing products for public sale. They went in to the exercise wanting to
test the following hypothesis: since the MakerBot material is so cheap, and
the printer itself is so cheap, you should be able to make a business that
provides cheap 3D printed parts (i.e., much less expensive than Shapeways
or RedEye) to the public.

They found that if they assumed a barely-living wage for one person living
in Somerville, and if that person worked 10 hour days with the printer
running 24/7 (using an example 3D printed product they designed for the
exercise), they'd have to charge $15 per cubic inch of material just to
break even. If the printer wasn't running constantly, or if it ever had any
significant downtime, they'd have to charge more. By comparison, the actual
cost of the material is only $1.11 per cubic inch if you buy a 1kg spool
from MakerBot themselves.

Thought that might help put typical 3D printing costs in perspective for
people. It's only a cheap process if your time is free!

Similar rules apply to selling/making hardware, only more so.  If you are
not factoring in the cost of R&D, salaries, support, certification,
inventory maintenance, rent, insurance, marketing, etc. then well.... I
recommend you stay far away from actually trying this.  Distributors won't
carry your stuff unless they get a decent cut (20%+, usually, unless your
volumes are high), either.

*Drew Van Zandt*
Artisan's Asylum Board of Directors