[HH] the missing security camera revolution

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Mon Apr 14 21:23:52 EDT 2014

On 4/14/2014 9:07 PM, David Kramer wrote:
> On 04/14/2014 07:02 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
>> I get that pro-grade hardware carries a premium, but the capabilities of
>> this camera are likely blown away by a sub-$50 Android smartphone, which
>> likely comes with a 3 MP camera, plus has WiFi and GSM radios.
> Not so minor nit: Show me a sub $50 Android smartphone.  And by that I
> mean you buy the phone for sub-$50 and that's that.  No contract or
> commitments.
> Or are you talking used?  Even there I think $50 might be a stretch.
> Maybe a tablet from China.  That would still have wifi.

I'll answer this in two ways.

First, slightly tongue in cheek:

http://www.dx.com/s/android%2bphone?PriceSort=up&category=511

Second, T-Mobile has phones at $99 (no contract) that probably meet the
above requirements.  Battery isn't removable, I think it's 2GB of
memory, but probably a good camera and I think it's 4G.

-Mark