[HH] home automation connected thermostat

Stephen Ronan sronan at panix.com
Thu Dec 4 11:07:52 EST 2014

The folks at CAO Gadgets http://www.caogadgets.com/ whose
products are available at http://wirelesstag.net have a
thermostat in development that might, perhaps, be along the lines
you're looking for: http://wirelesstag.net/kumostat.html

It was the subject of a Kickstarter that fell far short of its
$50,000 goal.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1635275236/kumostat-and-kumo-sensors?ref=users
Subsequently, in August, in their wireless sensor tag google
group, they wrote:

"Hmm we would really want to know how many people will buy the
Kumostat.

"We have to pay $25k+ to make the injection mold. We did have it
FCC certified (pending payment to test firm) and already made
100pcs board.

"But the question is, who will install a displayless thermostat
that does not look fancy at all, when Nest Thermostat and other
touch-screen thermostats are available for about $200? With
housing price so high right now, it seems everybody is spending
top dollars to "upgrade" his house, even a kitchen faucet now
costs $200 at Home Depot. Who would want to install Kumostat and
look like "downgraded" his house?  Besides, the installation
time/hassle itself costs $50~$100 for average person."

Meanwhile, they have been able to integrate Nest thermostats into
their sensor tags/tag management system/app. See first/top
message here and followup:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/wireless-sensor-tags/uhucH83wBAM

Though I haven't tried integration with Nest, I find the
Wirelesstag.net sensor tags, tag manager and app system to be
inexpensive, well-designed and effective.

    -Stephen