[HH] Mystery signal from a helicopter

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sun Feb 2 11:47:00 EST 2014

Most helicopters used by news organizations are turboshaft. Only the
smallest helicopters these days use piston engines. The turboshaft would
emit a constant. But.... helicopters have 2 different vibration levels,
low freq and high freq. These vibrations are why a helicopter's main
mission in life is self destruction.  The low freq is caused by the main
rotor blades. Depending on whether they are semi-rigit or fully
articulated, each blade has its own independent angle of attack,. and
angle between the blades an plane of rotation. The tail rotor is the
cause of the high freq. I have seen helicopters go into vibration on the
ground and destroy themselves.