[HH] Boston Linux Meeting Reminder, today, January 15, 2014 - Galileo, Linux, and the Internet of Things

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 03:27:28 EST 2014

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> When:  January 15, 2014 7PM (6:30PM for Q&A)
> Topic: Galileo, Linux, and the Internet of Things
> Moderator:Brian DeLacey
> Location: MIT Building E51, Room 315
>
> Summary
> 	Brian demonstrates Intel's new Galileo development board

A few bits on Galileo...the board is available locally at Micro Center
for $60 (10+ in stock):
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=902148

The first review posted there wasn't so positive. 3 out of 5 stars:

  I got one of these just to check it out. VS the pi it has 300mhz less
  in the cpu (tho intel says its equivalent), half the ram, is larger
  and costs $20 more. The only thing I can figure is that if you program
  on the atom platform there is probably more compatibility there, but
  as far as playing with it or using it as a stand alone unit buy the
  pi!

The electronics distributor Mouser announced the availability of the
Galileo development board with a video parodying Queen's "Bohemian
Rhapsody" (which features "galileo" in the lyrics):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS6B7QsdBRg