[HH] Hubris Springs Eternal

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Tue Jul 1 15:01:33 EDT 2014

Re: efficiency

ZYNQ = CPU + FPGA

The processor runs around 800mhz to 1ghz.
The fpga fabric is reserved for IO and for
specialized tasks. The fpga fabric generally
can only synthesize to 100 to maybe 150mhz,
depending on the design.

This speed difference means that unless the fpga
logic contains a bunch of pipeline stages
(a minimum of around 8 to 10 stages),
then its actually faster to do the algorithm in software.

RE: cost:
the zedboard demoboard with the zynq chip
on it, sells for $400.

A microzed board recently became available and sells for $199.
It has a smaller FPGA area, but if you don't need a lot of
gates, its a cheaper way to get into the arena.

trying to picture someone writing hardware code to
do googling. makes my head spin...

Greg