[HH] Raspberry Pi Compute Module and Model B update

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 19:14:46 EDT 2014

Before getting to the main item, I meant to post about The Raspberry Pi
Compute Module:
http://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-compute-module?ICID=rpimain-topban-compmod#compmod

a few months back when it was released. It takes most of a Raspberry Pi
Model B and reduces it down to an SODIMM form-factor (notably it lacks
an Ethernet connector). Aimed at developers that want to embed the board
in larger projects.

A dev kit sells for $215, which includes a motherboard with a bunch of
connectors (GPIO, Ethernet, HDMI, power, USB), and a power supply. I
can't seem to find pricing for just the Compute Module at Element14.

Today Element14 announced availability of the Raspberry Pi Model B +,
and update to the B:
http://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-bplus?ICID=rpimain-topban-BPlus

Compared to the B, same CPU and RAM, and mostly the same I/O (but 2 more
USB ports and more GPIO: 40 pins), but lower power consumption (600 mA
down from 750 mA) and a switch from SD card to microSD card. See video
at above link and comparison chart for more details. Same price.

A tech press article on it:
http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/14/the-new-model-of-the-raspberry-pi-microcomputer-gains-microsd-and-lower-power-consumption/