[HH] anyone have experience with fake flash (microSD) memory?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Tue Jul 15 10:03:38 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 8:57 AM, Kurt L Keville <kkeville at mit.edu> wrote:
> Found some more info on Huang's investigation into the phenomenon...
> http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?page_id=1022
> somewhat dated but I suspect things have gotten worse rather than better in the last 4 years...

The photo of the "Kingston" retail packaging looks similar to
the "ADATA" packaging that I received.   I can't tell from the picture, but
on my fake SD card package the front plastic just pops off.  No glue,
no paper/plastic
to cut tear.   You could easily pop cards that you got from one source
into packaging
that you got from another.   Also, the only place on the packaging
that mentions capacity/speed is a sticker on the back of the package.   Easily
added when you assemble the packaging in the back of your shop/basement.

> Bill, if you bring your SD card tomorrow night (if you are attending) I will bring my Toshiba FlashAir for show & tell... this is a cheaper version of the EyeFi card that has a half-way decent processor on it... an ARM version of the Edison card if you will...

I think I can make that happen.

Bill