[HH] "Maker Lounge" at The Peabody Essex Museum

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 23:20:05 EDT 2014

I saw mention of this in MIT Media Lab's Twitter feed.
 -Tom

http://www.pem.org/press/press_release/262-fresh_installations_and_creativity_lounge_open_this_spring

  ...PEM is opening a Maker Lounge -- an exciting space dedicated to
  cutting-edge innovation and individual creativity. Tapping into a
  subculture of those interested in engineering, innovation and unique
  applications of technologies, PEM will feature workshops for 3-D
  printing enthusiasts, crafters and those who are part of the evolving
  maker movement.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2014/03/02/behind-scenes-peabody-essex-museum-new-maker-lounge/V3vUmb8lPEwz4pNbmXMMXL/story.html

  Behind the scenes at the Peabody Essex Museum's new Maker Lounge

  You might have heard about the maker movement, a growing grass-roots
  movement, which is about technology-based exploration of DIY culture.
  ... When you walk into the Maker Lounge, you'll see a whole range of
  materials from different kinds of woods and textiles to littleBits
  kits, which have circuit boards and electronic components. There are
  going to be work tables and iPads and a large area with comfortable
  seating. There will be drawing materials and tools that you can't hurt
  yourself with. And when we have workshops, we'll have laptops and
  other things.

  ...we collaborate with really interesting organizations like the MIT
  Media Lab and Formlabs, which make desktop 3-D printers. We hope the
  Maker Lounge will especially attract young adults and older teenagers,
  16 to 30.