[HH] Burn custom art on a DVD

Jack Coats jack at coats.org
Mon May 12 07:24:06 EDT 2014

I have a light scribe burner.  It requires special light-scribe DVDs and
associated software.  When I cared, I never found Linux software for it,
but I haven't looked in quire a while.

It burns a faint B/W image nicely.  Readable, but not 'strong'.  I suggest
get a small pack of light-scribe DVDs and give it a go.  Then figure out if
that is really what you want to do in production.

At the time, HP was the only manufacturer (not bad, just fact).

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 6:15 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:

> On 05/10/2014 08:35 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > My son-in-law got this from his boss. I assume he wants to burn art into
> a lightscribe DVD. The place of business is in East Cambridge, his wife
> used to live 2 doors away from me while she was married to someone else.
> >
> > -------
> > The objective is to burn many grooves on the DVD that will NOT be
> holding any data or pictures.  Imagine that you have a pattern template
> that you have drawn using some drawing tool and you want to burn  "grooves"
> on the DVD using the DVD writing head.  There are "artist" specific
> software that do this however, they are not precise enough for my friend's
> purposes which is to create "test grooves" to test various organic
> compounds using low voltage electricity.
> >
> > So I guess what I am looking for is someone that can write a firm ware
> to move the head AND provide a "crude" user interface to draw simple
> straight lines (for the template) and use the DVD writer to etch the
> grooves along the lines created by the user.
> >
> > Here is the device:  HP CDDVDW TS-L633N 0300 195 (LightScribe)
> >
> > They will pay good money for an electrical engineer that can do that.
> >
> > I hope this is helpful.  This will not be used in any commercial
> capacity.  It is only for testing in a laboratory environment.  Thanks.
> > -------
> >
> I passed your comment back and this is the response. It is a friend of
> his boss that wants to do this.
> We are using special DVD burners, called light scribe. These types of
> burners, have the 3mW laser source which has ability to engrave the
> patterns on the other side of DVD.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightScribe
> We are planning to use these types of burners to make the patterns on
> our coated DVD. This patterning is little bit different than recording
> the data on DVD or printing the patterns using the printers on adhesive
> papers.
> There are several softwares on the internet that can control this type
> of DVD burners to engrave the patterns on the back of DVDs, but most of
> them are not accurate enough for our purpose. So I was wondering if we
> could have a interface code or software to control the the laser beam
> and its position.
>
> --
> Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
> Boston Linux and Unix
> PGP key id:3BC1EB90
> PGP Key fingerprint: 49E2 C52A FC5A A31F 8D66  C0AF 7CEA 30FC 3BC1 EB90

><> ... Jack

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart"... Colossians 3:23
"If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate" -
Henry J. Tillman
"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
Albert Einstein
"You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." - Admiral
Grace Hopper, USN
"a nanosecond is the time it takes electrons to propigate 11.8 inches" - "
- http://youtu.be/JEpsKnWZrJ8
"Life is complex: it has a real part and an imaginary part." - Martin Terma