[HH] $60 ODB2 to USB interface and EFF's right to repair your car petition

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Sat Apr 11 23:26:16 EDT 2015

On Sat, April 11, 2015 12:33 pm, Tom Metro wrote:
> But then I guess that's where the EFF's "right to repair your car
> petition" comes into play:
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/04/automakers-say-you-dont-really-own-
> your-car

Right to repair is already law in Mass.
It doesnt kick in until 2018, but its there.
The ballot question passed with 86% support.

It needs to get passed in more states, but it's started.

> I like the concept, and I can see the logic of going after the auto
> industry as low hanging fruit. (This is an easier to grasp concept to sell
> to the public and politicians.) But it still feels inconsistent to demand
> this kind of oneness for automotive electronics and not require the same
> of other industries.

Cars are expensive.
Car repairs are expensive.
and for a lot of people, a car is necessary.

I can't think of any other consumer item where the potential
costs of repairs rivals that of a car.

Greg