[HH] Self-Replicating Printer

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 13:51:56 EDT 2015

Tom Metro wrote:
> I'll be impressed when one of these desktop
> manufacturing devices not only has the capacity and precision to make
> the parts for replicating itself, but also the speed to make it
> practical. :-)

Speaking of which...

Hobbyists Design & Build 'Big Red' Self-Replicating Printer -- Almost
Entirely 3D Printed
http://3dprint.com/57188/big-red-self-replicating/

  ...the Long Bed Printed 3D Printer by Instructables member
  dmserve...came about with some great features after Les Hall and his
  buddy Dennis were having a quick conversation one evening...[they]
  brainstormed together regarding their idea for an all-plastic 3D
  printer that could self-replicate. Getting a kick out of the idea of
  not only a self-replicating 3D printer, but one that is nearly all
  plastic, Dennis made that a primary focus. The only parts that are not
  plastic are mechanical pieces such as rods, motors, and chips, with
  the entire project highlighted in Dennis' Instructables project.
  Cost for the machine is estimated to be that of an average RepRap 3D
  printer, and users can expect to go through roughly 2-2.5 rolls of
  filament to print the main frame, with 1-1.5 rolls used to print the
  smaller parts.