[HH] limitations of laser cutting

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Mon Apr 13 01:11:21 EDT 2015

I'd gut check laser ablation to be slow but extremely high res.
good for very small, very detail demanding parts,
but not so much for home enthusiasts.

As for cutting, the plasma training I took placed cutting in this order:
laser, plasma, water jet. (from thinnest material to thickest)

As for metal machining, I think these machines have pretty
low precision. You could probably make gears that work at low speeds,
but but I can't imagine making anything high precision or heavy duty.

A manual bridgeport is 2000 pounds of iron to keep the table, bed, head
from flexing and vibrating while cutting.  I haven't looked for  a
cheap new/modern CNC mill, but some quick window shopping usually had
them be in the tens of thousands of dollars range.

I imagine a desktop "mill/3d printer" would have a precision that
would be on the order of "better than casting".

So, even when discussing the "same" category such as "traditional milling",
there are wild variations of quality and price.