[HH] Lego mindstorm ev3?

Greg email at greglondon.com
Sun Aug 16 09:19:56 EDT 2015

Anyone on the list have a lego mindstorm ev3? Was wondering if it would be something a high schooler could handle with little or no adult support. Is the gui programming a real language? Maybe Im biased growing up on text languages, but I would think a gui programming interface would have to be a small subset of a "real" language.
I was looking for something that would be easy for a young person to play around with and learn the basics of robots and programming on their own, but would also allow them to do advanced stuff once they master the basics. And not really looking for something that requires a soldering iron.
Im not attached to mindstorm, so if anyone has experience with any other system they think would fit the bill, lemme know. It should be a way for a busy high schooler to learn programming and robots with little adult support. Is fairly plug and play. Can do something out of the box, but allows for individual ideas, projects. Assume little or no electronics knowledge to start.