[HH] Food hacking

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Sun Apr 2 01:29:09 EDT 2017

> LED light is so cheap we might be growing everything inside soon.
> 24 hours a day.

I'm not a grid expert, but I don't think the numbers add up for that.

For a single user, I could get a 5kw solar system for $10k
It will be ~400 square feet of panels at ~25% efficiency.
meaning it generates the power equivalent to 100 sq feet of natural sun.
That's a 10 foot by 10 foot herb garden, and it cost $10k to grow indoors.
Probably cheaper to plant it on the roof and use natural sunlight free.

As for feeding everyone:
One estimate is that it takes about 1 acre to grow food for
a person per year. That's 300 million acres.
3 acres of solar generators put out about 1gwh of electricity per year.
assume 25% efficiency for easy calculations/estimations.
That's 400 million-gillion watt hours of energy. 400 peta-watt hours.
Which I think is like, all the coal on the planet.

I believe the total us electrical consumption is 4pwh a year.

Greg