[HH] Some updates from last night's lectures...

Stephen Ronan sronan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 15:46:08 EDT 2017

Re: GPS-free LoRaWAN geolocation

You may be able to sign up for a free account at Semtech (see
"mySemtech"/login) at top at www.semtech.com (they want
company/institutional domain email addresses). Semtech holds the core
LoRa patent.

Even not signed up and  logged in, you may be able to get to a couple
of videos re: their GPS-free LoRaWAN capacity to use timestamps of
node communications with dispersed gateways to identify location of
the nodes.
https://semtech.force.com/lora/LC_VideoHub?q=Geolocation+-+Part+1
https://semtech.force.com/lora/LC_VideoHub?q=Geolocation+-+Part+2
with accompanying "scripts".

The first of those videos is skippable... focusing on why geolocation
can be helpful.

Unfortunately, I see that the "script" accompanying the second video
states: "The timestamps are transported to the network server, where
Semtech licenses the decryption function to the network server
provider. The network server provider can then decrypt the data
according to the service level subscribed on." So I guess even if
TheThingsNetwork gateways are able to support the geolocation feature,
that capacity may not be available for free using Semtech's decryption
functions.