[HH] IoT connectivity used by BigBelly

Kurt Keville klk at mit.edu
Thu Mar 30 17:52:33 EDT 2017

I would imagine you could get a pretty good bulk rate when you are using as
many minutes as Bigbelly...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

2G should be sufficient, I suppose?

https://www.digi.com/customersuccesses/driving-operational-efficiencies-intelligent-waste

> "Custom embedded cellular radios form Digi Wireless Design Services into
> solar powered trash and recycling compactor units."
>
> So they are using cellular radios.

Little late to the party but...

Bigbelly's use in-house designed boards with different models of
integrated cellular modules depending on generation; Digi was an early
consultant on the first generation(s) of devices but hasn't been
involved for many years.

As for LoRA, there are certainly situations where that would work for
devices like Bigbelly, but cellular is ubiquitous world-wide; A device
can be dropped practically anywhere without much consideration for how
close it is to another device, or to non-cellular radio
infrastructure--cellular is a "just works" solution.  The cellular
modules aren't cheap, but LoRA and other alternatives probably don't
offer enough BOM savings at relatively low build- volumes to offset the
potential problems with deployment and field troubleshooting headaches.

The other thing to consider is the usage model for the data--if you have
a lot of local inter-device communication (such as sensor nets with
local data analysis or retention) then it makes sense to deploy
something like LoRA and be able to keep your local traffic on mesh and
off the gateways--but, if the majority of your communication is very
small packets of "phone home" data then going to a mesh network with
gateways doesn't buy you much, and the per-byte costs for cellular are
reasonably low already and getting lower.

-Ethan