[HH] free access to Amazon hosted FPGAs in the cloud

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Sun May 7 08:04:42 EDT 2017

1. Learn verilog. Its much easier and is the standard language in the US.
VHDL is strongly typed like Ada (VHDL is Ada with hardware constructs
added.) If you're in Europe, then learn VHDL because its more of the
hardware language standard over there.

Having coded in both (military stuff use to use Ada and VHDL),
I would say that strongly typed to the level that VHDL is
is an overrated feature for hardware design.

When VHDL and Verilog first came out, VHDL had a bunch of features
that they supported that Verilog did not, so it became a standard
for some. But with the release of verilog AMS and systemverilog,
they're both pretty much have the same capability. ANd now the
only reason people choose one language over the other is because
of their existing code base or because some third party IP uses
one or the other.

2. You can get the PICOZED version of the zedboard for $178 which
uses the smaller xilinx ZYNQ chip. XIlinx makes their synthesis
software tool available for free for their smaller chips, including
the Zedboard and picozed.

The tool supports verilog. ANd it may even support VHDL
if you must inflict that language on youself.