[HH] $ per core for desktop parts

Kurt Keville kurt.keville at gmail.com
Sun May 21 09:45:50 EDT 2017

Since VM clouds are mostly a discussion of core count, I suspect cache
sizes and SIMD extensions are not fair to bring into the conversation
unless you get those for free (e.g. NEON with ARMv7). Still you would
have to be evangelizing a pretty synthetic benchmark to make a case
for a smaller core count VM cloud.

I have one of those needs right now; I need to have a distcc cloud for
a distro repository backend. the more virtual cores / threads the
better. So 2 anemic processors are probably better than 1 good one. We
need it mostly for the RV128 port of Debian (soon to be at
http://riscv.mit.edu/ ) Right now we are doing it entirely with
RISCVEMU and we will likely have to do it again when binutils breaks
again (not scheduled yet, but it is imminent).