[HH] the search for the maximum desktop display (make it the desk?)

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Tue Nov 14 11:52:54 EST 2017

Over the years, I have used lots of different resolutions, sizes, and counts
of display units.   Currently, I primarily use a single 39" 4K television as my
primary display device.  It is a few years old at this point and I've wondered
about getting a larger display, adding HDR, or upping the refresh
rate.  (I never
do gaming so I probably don't need a particularly fast refresh rate.)
I've noticed
that I don't use the edges of the current 39" display much because I
already find
myself turning my head rather then just changing my gaze when I switch from
one side to another.   Still, bigger is better right?

Still, I wonder if anyone has considered using a computer
monitor/television as an
actual physical desktop.   i.e. Mount a screen horizontally rather
then vertically.
A  generic 55" 4K television isn't that expensive at this point and
compares favorably in
size to your average physical desktop.  The DPI on a 55" 4K screen is
probably not high
enough for use as a primary display, but it would be adequate for a
secondary screen.
I'm thinking that I would use it just like a regular desk.  I would
put my keyboard/mouse right on
it and not worry about the fact that I would be covering part of the
screen.   Touch sensitive
would be nice, but not a necessity.  I would put my primary screen in
a vertical position and set up
dual monitor mode with the "desk" screen stacked underneath the
vertically oriented primary
screen.  Just like in a regular dual monitor mode, I could move
windows back and forth
between the two screens as I needed to work with them.  One advantage
is that I might keep my desk cleaner as a result.

So what is the point of this email?

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of anybody doing something like this
and just using it for normal everyday computing.  I did a little
research and I found a few examples of people exploring this in
academic settings a few years ago using back lit projection screens,
etc.; but nothing about everyday use.  I also found some examples of
regular people embedding smaller (20-24 inch) discarded/older screens
into desks, but nothing taking advantage of currently available
screens.  Has anybody heard of anyone doing this recently?  Any
pitfalls?  Am I crazy?

Thanks,
Bill Bogstad