[BLU/Officers] DKIM again Re: [Discuss] copyright contributor question

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 11:33:08 EDT 2016

Offlist, cc: officers@

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 3:10 AM, Eric Chadbourne
<sillystring at protonmail.com> wrote:
> > Proton mail security requires gmail to discard/spam any message forwarded by this list
> >  just like yahoo. I have an exception list in gmail so I can see this .
>
> #1 Makes sense.  Maybe the list should be configured differently?

The fixes to list config to prevent DKIM breakage prevent easy
reply-to-author and/or require latest list mgr version and still are
fiddly. Not easy.

It's basically impossible to please everyone. The problem is we have a
conflict between RFC standards :-(

In general, if you want list postings to be seen widely, don't post
from Yahoo or Proton; Yahoo, Proton, and Gmail users won't see it
unless one of (a) the list damages the headers worse than usual, (b)
DIGEST mode, (c) REPLY-LIST mode,  or (d) recipient has set a never
send to spam rule for the list.

Yahoo & now Proton have unilaterally decided that breaking mailing
lists and me at alumni.almamater.edu and me at ieee.org forwarders is
acceptable price to cure forged spam.

Gmail is honoring the flag but at least lets me override so that i see
messages marked with warning instead of literally deleting
undelivered. (I do not have that set for my $call at arrl.org forwarder,
which is mostly a spam trap these days, so i may find a few DKIM Ham
in Spam folder here.)

On the Boston.PM  list that i administer, we've taken the median path
that fudges return addresses only for senders whose ISP  asserts the
DKIM flag. Evil REPLY-LIST mode lists do not suffer the problem, nor
do DIGEST mode subscribers. But they have other problems (... among
them the embarassment of replying to just the last author with private
comments TO THE WHOLE LIST because the Admin thinks you can't be
trusted to choose Reply All vs Reply Sender). Alas, AFAIK Gmail
doesn't have a digest-burster plugin?

Gmail may have added whitelist for some of the best known
me at alumni.almamater.edu and me at ieee.org forwarders but ... not all.

How to reconcile DKIM and lists is not yet reduced to best practice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys_Identified_Mail#Annotations_by_mailing_lists

If BLU lists' list-manager has the intermediate "mangle headers only
for DKIM senders" option that i used, setting that might be a good
thing.

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com