[BLU/Officers] Next InstallFests

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 14:09:07 EST 2019

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:09 AM Kurt Keville <kurt.keville at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well, we can at least pick a summer month for MIT since that will
> represent the least amount of parking drama.

There's that.

> So  April/July/October? With April and Oct being in the Morse Library?

At Morse Library, the Saturday after the 1st Thursday gets immediate
connection with Dick's Natick F(L)OSSG group, perhaps too immediate, so
doesn't really matter, 2nd-4th Saturday sort of equally good.

*April --  I would suggest 4/27 @ Morse (or Sun 4/21 @ MIT).*
We probably want to avoid Easter weekend (4/19-22) and at Morse Lib
particularly avoid Marathon Monday 4/15, but 4/13 might work there, as
although the race course is already getting marked, the Saturday 5k race is
all Back Bay Boston.

I will be away out of state on 4/13-15 and likely away 4/6-8 as well.
I may have family obligations (or family observance, so fam obs) on  4/27
(but that might shift to 4/28 making me available on short notice; the
intersection of my son-in-law's and my nephew's work schedule to have both
available is awkward, unpredictable long term, but later on Sunday
currently best to get both to a Fam Obs, so good chance Saturday Fam Obs
are moveable-feast'ed to Sunday).

Alternatively, Sunday 4/21 is first MIT swapmeet of the year. Advantage
either at MIT then, or flyer then and either E51 or Morse Inst the
following Saturday.
(I note there's a T Commuter Rail to Worcester that stops behind Morse Inst
twice in the morning, so we can even offer car-free access, 1503 and 1505,
on current schedule -- April not posted yet.)

*May* (bonus April)
We could be Star-Wars themed on *May the Fourth* ... that might work better
at MIT but hey, fans of SW:ANH 1977 are in the Natick Senior FOSSG
demographic now. :-D

*July - Sunday July 21st @MIT or Sat July 27th @ MIT. *
Sunday July 21st would be MIT SwapMeet.  We could do Bldg 34/36/38 -- Gerry
and I scouted it a year ago -- or our usual E51 and not fight Flea for
parking, but less convenient for walk-ins recruited via Swapmeet shopping.
     (I still think coordinating an MIT Installfest with the MIT Swapmeet /
Flea at MIT that moves a lot of  used laptops that need to be cured of
WinDOS+malware is a win. I could provide a booth at swapmeet to direct
people to the main site as well as flyering the laptop/server dealers, and
maybe even have my gurney for ferrying servers / desktops for folks not
able to move their car immediately? I'd even try to bribe my daughter to
sell my junk at the booth so I'm free to move back and forth.)

If we don't do MIT on MIT Flea Sunday, we should do it the next Saturday,
so *Sat 7/27,* so we can flyer the flea.

Other dates -
Sat 7/06 I might have family obs, but i am likely be able to steer things
with bribery and above noted Sunday advantage to do Installfest 7/06; less
likely to have Obs on 7/27 as obs more likely on 28th for above reasons.

Also might be useful to *promote* the series at indoor ham fleamarkets at
Marlboro 2/16 (next weekend if we can decide by then) ,  Framingham (4/07),
MIT 4/21+5/19+6/16. (Oddly, MIT is NOT on Marathon weekend this year.)

*October - Sat Oct 26 @Morse (or MIT) (or Sun Oct 20 @ MIT)*
This is a good month for me, my Fam Obs and out of town conventions cluster
in Sept and Nov.
(Some year, i want to go to the Baltimore and/or DC cons, May/October, but
no plans at this time.)
(Alternatively, Sun 10/20 is last MIT Swapmeet of the year. If not doing at
MIT on Sunday, some advantage to flyering at MIT so Sat 10/26.)