[Discuss] Reducing wear on SSD drives - worth the effort and, if so, how?

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Sat Dec 3 09:26:10 EST 2022

On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 5:19 PM Daniel M Gessel <daniel at syntheticblue.com>
wrote:

> TL/DR: Thanks for feedback so far - there's been a wide range of
> thoughts about whether it's worth it; out of curiosity I'm going to
> continue to investigate and experiment.

:

I can refrain from asking tinkerer-y questions if BLU is an sysadmin's
> group or they are otherwise not appropriate for this list.

:

BLU is not just a sysadmin group; it's a user group for enthusiasts and
professionals who are interested in Linux and/or the UNIX family of
operating systems. Many of us are sysadmins, but our group

I personally think of Linux as part of the UNIX family, but I'm aware that
some people define UNIX more strictly as having descended from the original
AT&T code, and because Linux is an independent reimplementation of the
POSIX API, these people often describe Linux as UNIX-like but not actually
UNIX.

In any case, this difference of opinion doesn't interest me. Either way,
BLU is, in principle, inclusive of both Linux in particular and UNIX in
general. Admittedly, most speakers we find have tended to focus their talks
on Linux-specific topics, but that's because we only rarely find speakers
who want to give talks involving other Unixes.

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0x920063C6