[Discuss] Using public DNS for intranet hosts?
Rich Pieri
richard.pieri at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 17:07:26 EDT 2026
On Fri, 28 Aug 2026 15:42:05 -0400
Daniel Barrett <dbarrett at blazemonger.com> wrote:
> Is it a good idea, bad idea, or neutral idea to use the DNS server at
> the *registrar* for example.com to implement these names? For example,
> if my registrar is registrar.com, I would create an A record (at
> registrar.com) for the name "foo.example.com" that resolves to an
> intranet IP address like 192.168.0.15.
Bad idea. You're trying to put non-routable IP addresses into a public
DNS zone. At the least your RR records will be a disaster, assuming
your registrar or DNS provider let you do it at all.
The correct solution is to run a little caching nameserver inside your
private network and put your private records here. Since I run pi-hole
I can use it as a specific example. pi-hole out of the box (in my
experience) uses the server's /etc/hosts file:
192.168.1.11 dhcp11.marller.net
192.168.1.12 dhcp12.marller.net
192.168.1.13 dhcp13.marller.net
192.168.1.14 dhcp14.marller.net
192.168.1.15 dhcp15.marller.net
192.168.1.202 marller.marller.net marller.net marller
192.168.1.204 hild.marller.net hild
So I get to see all of my internal hosts with their internal IP
addresses inside while marller.net and my public records resolve
correctly from outside:
$ host marller.net
marller.net has address 192.168.1.202
$ host marller.net
marller.net has address 173.48.211.51
--
\m/ (--) \m/
More information about the Discuss
mailing list