[Discuss] With AI, 2, 000 Vulnerabilities per Linux kernel release

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 14:05:11 EDT 2026


On Fri, 04 Sep 2026 13:08:24 -0400
"Randall Rose" <rrose at pobox.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure this reasoning is conclusive -- it seems to imply that
> "number go down" must be true no matter what.  That's as implausible
> as a doomster's assumption that "number go up" is inevitable.

It's basic arithmetic: Say that there are 2000 bugs in a program. I fix
1 bug. Now there are 1999 bugs in this program. This total does not go
up when a tool identifies a previously undiscovered bug. The total
number of bugs is still 2000 minus the 1 that I fixed. I just now know
I have another bug to fix and then it's down to 1998 total bugs.

Number go down is a mathematical certainty unless new bugs are
introduced faster than bugs can be identified and fixed.

-- 
\m/ (--) \m/


More information about the Discuss mailing list