[Discuss] systemd sucks and containers suck and language-specific package repos suck
Derek Atkins
derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Sep 15 09:26:29 EDT 2026
On Tue, September 15, 2026 9:12 am, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2026 08:32:48 -0400
> markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
>
>> Containers are useful, but I have issues with docker's server design
>> as it introduces its own vulnerabilities. Podman works well enough, I
>> guess.
>
> Yeah. Containers are not the problem. The two real problems are
> Docker's brain-dead design decisions (I could go on at length and also
> lump Canonical snaps into it) and trash software relying on containers
> to hide their trashiness. Neither are problems with containers
> conceptually.
The concept of having an application in a package with its data "outside"
-- allowing seamless upgrades without changing the surrounding system is
definitely a worthwhile goal. It sounds great on paper. It's the
implementation that I question.
For example there is a service I want to set up which is distributed as a
docker image. Sure. Okay. But it depends on three other docker images
(including Postgres -- which is shipped as... you guessed it ... its own
docker image).. But now I need to set up a VM to run the docker
image(s)!
I suppose I could connect it to my master postgres instead of running yet
another instance. But the application is not designed to do that.
So yes -- it makes it easier to upgrade the application. But the system
admin side still requires the host support and maintenance. I guess it
separates that -- where the app can have its own set of dependencies
independent of the host OS.
Is that worthwhile? Hard to say.
-derek
--
Derek Atkins 617-623-3745
derek at ihtfp.com www.ihtfp.com
Computer and Internet Security Consultant
More information about the Discuss
mailing list