[Discuss] systemd sucks and containers suck and language-specific package repos suck
Kent Borg
kentborg at borg.org
Tue Sep 15 10:46:24 EDT 2026
On 9/15/26 5:32 AM, markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> A VM is a very powerful tool,
Yes.
So are containers: I knew there was work afoot, but they still sneaked
name spaces into the Linux kernel when I wasn't looking. When I saw what
a complete set had been built I was really impressed and also very
skeptical. Building isolation from all of that intertwined complexity
seemed a contradiction. How could it possibly be secure? And even if all
of the kernel code were perfect, there are so many knobs and levers to
get right in used space that I doubted users could get that right.
Okay, containers should help with all those knobs and levers (I admit I
don't know how much they actually solve the problem), and the kernel
part seemed to be very well done.
But as complicated as KVM is, using it to run a full VM is apparently
much more secure in practice, and it sure makes conceptually that it
should be.
---
A couple years ago when I bought my Framework 13 laptop and I was
confronted with the two DRAM slots. The fact that populating both with
matching parts gives better performance, and throwing away parts in to
upgrade hurts, I decided to max out my RAM from the start, and it wasn't
that expensive. Lucky timing, prices have gone up since.
Anyway, not everyone has 64GB, so web browsers don't (yet) require 64GB,
which means for the moment I get to decide how to use all that RAM. It
is hard, 64GB is a lot.
I use VMs. I try to directly use the host for as little as possible. I
am typing this in a Thunderbird window that looks and acts just as if
Thunderbird were running on the host, but it is in a VM that I use for
essentially nothing else. My web browser windows are also from their own
VM. And when I want to visit a hostile URL I have a specific VM for
that, too, one that I both keep well updated, and that I revert to a
clean disk snapshot.
When I use Claude Code it is running as its own "claude" user in a VM
that "claude" isn't even allowed to log into, and the VM also reverts to
a snapshot. I keep my sources on the host and have a script that reverts
to the snapshot and passes the right source directory through to the VM
according to what project I am working on.
If I were to apply to a job listing that was actually a North Korean
scam, they would manage to infect my VM, and the infection would be
wiped once I ran my script again. (It could still be in the sources on
my host it I put them there, but I would be skeptical enough to delete
them. Or just keep the work completely in the VM.)
Doing this is very unusual. North Korea has undetected persistence in
private git repositories *all* over the place because no one else does this.
Not everything is smooth. Akamai makes lots of web sites not work
because they think my security measures are insecure. (Akamai doesn't
care, I'm not their customer, and the web sites don't care and don't
know what is going on because they have bought the best precisely so
they could not have to think about what they are doing.)
I figure I get good isolation. An awful lot of the world runs on the
multi-tenancy possible through the isolation of VMs, a lot of people who
really care are watching and fixing bugs in this space. Occasional scary
bug reports notwithstanding, it seems VMs are good isolation.
-kb
More information about the Discuss
mailing list