[Discuss] systemd sucks and containers suck and language-specific package repos suck

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue Sep 15 15:46:06 EDT 2026


On 9/15/26 12:15 PM, markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> One of the things I should articulate is how amazingly easy it is to
> administer and expand this kind of design.

There are a lot of things I dislike about "the cloud", because it is 
assumed to sweep up so much assumed "full stack", but the flexibility of 
running any software on various hardware is really cool.

Part of why I like the company Oxide Computer Company, they sell server 
hardware that isn't bare BIOS/UEFI, but includes a virtualization layer 
on top. A nicely packaged way to have the flexibility you describe, 
on-prem. I assume not at all cheap, but only only buy as many sleds as 
you need now, and I suspect it frequently comes in cheaper than does AWS.

-kb



More information about the Discuss mailing list