sudo passwords

linuxguy at ici.net linuxguy at ici.net
Sat Feb 13 08:14:23 EST 1999

>      So I set up sudo to let users run simple commands like mount /dev/fd0
>      /floppy, but it promps for a password... the root password.  This
>      seems to defeat some of the functionality.  I'd like whoever to be
>      able to mount a CDROM with out giving out the root password.

That's odd, I didn't think sudo should ask for the root passwd.  Are you
sure you're not su'd while testing this.  I've confgiured sudo at home to
grant my wife access to start and stop ppp without a passwd.  Here's a
snippet of the sudoers file.  Make sure you assign parameters in the
/etc/fstab for nosuid if you're gifting mount to users.

Cmnd_Alias      SHUTDOWN=/sbin/shutdown,/sbin/halt
Cmnd_Alias      ADMIN=/bin/mount,/bin/umount
Cmnd_Alias      PPP=/usr/bin/dctrl

rhonda          ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: PPP, NOPASSWD: SHUTDOWN

### End of Snippet