Problem booting up (Filesystem has unsupported feature(s) while trying to open /dev/hda5)

zoqix zoqix at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 18 20:07:17 EST 2001

Hi all,

I had problem booting up my system. I was using my system and then did a reboot. After that, it could not boot up. I was asked to run fsck.ext2 but it said:
fsck.ext2: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s) while trying to open /dev/hda5

The superblock  could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

When I tried the above "e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda", I still receive the above error. Please advise.

Thanks.