SuSE 9.3 is not seeing my PVR-350 capture card

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Sat Oct 1 13:21:44 EDT 2005

Drew Taylor wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2005, at 4:39 PM, dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:
>>
>> I was pretty sure the Hauppage cards do NOT use the bttv
>> drivers, but rather the ivtv drivers.
>
> From what I remember of the MythTV docs, I definitely remember  Hauppage
> and ivtv being mentioned together.

I saw notes elsewhere to the contrary, but
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#pvr250
backs both of you up.

This is WAY more complicated than I expected.

Ferinstance, that page gives an example of how to set up the modules
2.4-style, not 2.6-style in a /etc/modprobe.d/ file, and uses directives not
supported in that system:

alias char-major-81     videodev
alias char-major-81-0   ivtv
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
options ivtv debug=1
options tuner type=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner  <---????
add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c      <---????

It also says you have to select your own tuner from tuner.h (I had to find a
separate ivtv RPM to get the kernel module source), but not how to know
which one to use, which is silly because that page is all about the
PVR250/350, so they should know, There's two entries that say PVR150 in
them, and none referencing the 250 or 350.

uninew:/etc/modprobe.d # modprobe ivtv
FATAL: Error inserting ivtv
(/lib/modules/2.6.11.4-21.9-default/extra/ivtv.ko): Unknown symbol in
module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
Other modules are complainging about the options too, like msp3400,

Oh well, back to google.