ubuntu and Linux refresh rate?

Scott Ehrlich srehrlich at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 10:41:49 EDT 2005

Having used MacOS, Windows, and Linux, I've found Linux to be the most
difficult to "easily" adjust the refresh rate on. Screen resolution is not
so much a problem. I'm as much of a fan of command line as GUI, but if a
Linux distro gives me the option of adjusting the screen characteristics via
a GUI, as does ubuntu, I'd like to think I have full reign. The same video
card under Windows gives me the right balance of resolution and refresh
rate. But under ubuntu (or most any other X interface for Linux), I get 60
hz refresh for most resolutions, with an occasional 56 hz for a couple
settings. My preference is for higher refresh rates (80hz, 90hz, etc).

Why can't it be that simple? For a distro designed to be user friendly,
which, I will admit Ubuntu comes very close to being, this simple option can
make a big difference with overall usability. It is preferred to not have to
perform a hard trial and error with editing a file or two in a text editor,
then restarting X. A GUI interface should provide an on-the-spot test.

Insight and education are welcome for feedback.

Thanks.

Scott