Simple HDTV viewer?

Dan Ritter dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 3 13:00:23 EDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 12:41:58PM -0400, John Abreau wrote:
> I've found that mplayer plays everything I've thrown at it. I haven't tried
> any HDTV yet, but it works great with my Hauppage WinTV PVR USB2.
> I would expect it to work with the HDTV model as well. I've only tested
> the unit to make sure it works; eventually I intend to set up MythTV to
> use it for real.

If there's support for the device, then it comes out as MPEG2.
MPlayer handles that just fine.

> > This will also give me a chance to see if a simple setup (Compaq Presario
> > with ATI Radeon 200m video card) can work - with video and audio.   If so,
> > I'd then try it on an older Compaq Armada M700 with USB 1 (I'd get a USB
> > 2.0 PCMCIA card).

Playback is harder than recording, since modern tuners do all
the work for you. If you have insufficient computrons, some of
the work can be offloaded to the video card, but that's a
driver-dependent feature. At this time, the only chipsets that
offer MPEG2 acceleration with Linux drivers are NVidia, Intel,
and a few Via/S3 Unichromes.

-dsr-
--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.

believed to be clean.